The beginnings of Ludwikowice Kłodzkie are not very well known. In ancient times there was a trading route which crossed today’s village. Coins which had been found in the area, dated to Roman times, prove this fact. It is also known that the present town had been founded in the first half of the sixteenth century at the latest. In 1352 Hanns von Wustehube sold his mansion in Nowa Ruda as well as five other villages including Ludwikowice, to the von Donyn brothers. The mansion was owned by the family until 1472. After the last member of the von Donyn house had died, the Nowa Ruda possessions were taken by von Stillfried, the spouse of Ann von Donyn. After the 30 year long war, the baron von Stillfried lost part of the possessions since he had appoved the protestant fraction.
In 1631 in Ludwikowice there lived 23 landlords who paid church taxes and F. Thamm owned a bigger mansion in this area. Around 1765 the village was divided into three parts: one belonged to baron von Larish, another one to baron von Stillfried and the other into independent judges. The place was developing quickly and the creation of colonies and additions helped in this process. It was the natural outcome of the growth of homemade embroidery craftsmen in the area as well as the opening of numerous coal mines.
The development of mining and embroidery led to a very rapid growth of Ludwikowice in the first half of the nineteenth century, but it has also contributed to the division of the village among various owners. In 1825 the place consisted of 6 parts. These were major colonies neighbouring the place itself. In the area owned by von Magnis there were 47 houses, a church, catholic school, a brewery, and three watermills. The homemade embroidery was considerably developed, as there were 64 devices to manage cotton and 52 to manage linen fabrics.
In the second half of the XIX century the owner of the village became baron von Seherr-Thoss, who introduced the coal as a fuel in the mills to create the linen fabric , which , at the time, was a new technology. After the homemade craft seized to exist the place continued to develop thanks to the “Wenceslaus” mine in Miłków. The mine was expanding and joining other, smaller mines from the area. In the village in the place of homemade craftsmen there came small mechanical mills which employed ex-craftsmen. At the end of XIX century there was a big power plant built next to the mine. In the town there appeared some minor industrial facilities. The building of a railway track had also its impact and positive influence on the development of the village. It connected Nowa Ruda with Wałbrzych. At the end of XIX century an evangelic charity facility called “Ludmillastift” was created in the village.
Ludwikowice, despite the attractive location near the major track in a picturesque area did not attract many tourist, even though since the railway track was built there the town became a suitable point from where to travel into the Sowie Mountains and Włodzickie Hills. There were some inns run in the village, some of which offered accommodation. There was also a mountain trekking group of Kłodzkie Mountain Society (GGV). In the period between the wars, in the village there were several minor industrial facilities like wood mill, electrical devices company and fabric facility. A deep crisis came to the village in 1930 when 151 miners had died in the disaster inside the mine. The mine was closed after this tragedy. It was reactivated only in 1939.
The years of the second world war brought major changes in Ludwikowice. The area of the unused mine and the neighboring hills: Gontowa and Włodyka became the area of a dynamic works in the field of mining and construction, which were carried on since the start of 1944. Earlier in 1942 on the premises of the village on Wiejska Street there was a working facility for Polish jews created. It was run by the Schmelt organization. Around 600 prisoners were employed in the factory of bullets which was raised on the grounds of the unused mine. In 1944 the camp in Ludwikowice became the branch of KL Gross-Rosen. There was also another camp created and it consisted of 50 barracks. It was home for nearly 1500 prisoners, who used to work at the ammunition factory in Miłków and were probably used at the construction site of a huge underground mining area in the area of Gontowa and Włodyka. The fate of the male camp prisoners remains unknown until today. They were supposingly murdered and buried in one of the holes.